The Soup Kitchen

Last night, after the Pesta Chow Kit Kita 2, Aris and I decided to join The Soup Kitchen with Dewi, Huzair and Imran.  Even though we were already exhausted after the whole day being super energetic for PCKK, bak kata Aris: "Alang-alang dah keluar rumah, keluar je terus."

Before this, I actually thought that The Soup Kitchen was a restaurant +_+ what a noob.

What I've seen about The Soup Kitchen is that it's a project for the homeless community under PERTIWI; whereby a group of people give food to the homeless people in the main KL areas.  The one I joined last night was together with the Young Muslims Project, and they focused on the Chow Kit and Kota Raya areas.

Honestly, joining this project was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

First stop was Chow Kit (behind Tune Hotel); I was roped into the role of being the volunteer who opens the paper bag filled with food (last night's was nasi lemak and a banana), and passing each to another volunteer who then gives them to each of the homeless person so that they can proceed to the volunteers who give out the kuih and buns.

I was astonished to see the amount of homeless people queuing up for food.  It was an eye-opening experience.  I'm not ashamed to say that the whole time while passing the food, I was trying my best not to burst into tears.  One of the touching parts for me was when a family of three came up to the van.  The father was carrying his young boy, while the mother held the food; yet they were still cheerful and full of smiles.

These moments made me think:  Why are we not grateful for the many things we have in life?  When hardship befalls us, why are we not strong enough to face them?  Why can't we say a simple Thank You when someone shows us an act of kindness?  Why do we simply judge those whom we don't understand?

These people, in the worse conditions of not having a roof over their heads, not having healthy food to eat, not having proper medical care, not having access to clean water and electricity, not having family and friends to care for them; yet they still have to will to go on living.

Who are we to judge if they resort to charity to go on with their lives?  Who are we to judge what kind of choices they make to go on living?

When people say charity, most think donations, money, food, clothes, etc.  In truth, to make time is the best charity you can offer.

I really encourage everyone to be a part of a project like The Soup Kitchen.  The experience you get when helping someone who has less than you in life is truly humbling.

My reminder to myself and you:  Be grateful for the little things in life.  We are so lucky to have what we have now.  This might sound cliche, but it has so much truth in it:  Always remember that there are so many other people who are less fortunate than us.

I wish you the best in life.



=)

0 comments: